Working Holiday Authorisation

**Please Note**

Due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus we are not in a position to offer travel advice to travellers wishing to come to Ireland. Please consult with WHO guidelines for your country before travelling

download (1)

Ireland has working holiday agreements with Australia, Argentina, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan, and the USA which allow young people of come to Ireland for a period of up to 1 year and fund an extended holiday through temporary work. To do this you must first apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA) from your nearest Irish Embassy/Consulate in your home country. Places are limited and you cannot apply if you are already in Ireland.


Sufficient funds

A condition of the WHA is that you must have enough money to support yourself for at least the first part of your holiday or in case you don’t find work. Immigration officials may ask for proof that you have sufficient funds when applying for your WHA.

Medical insurance

Another condition of the WHA is that you must have private medical insurance to cover any costs in case you have an accident or fall ill while in Ireland.

Immigration controls

Even if you have a WHA, you’re still subject to normal immigration controls when you enter Ireland. Those who have been issued a WHA must register with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days. You can do this within the first week of arriving and there is a fee of €300 to obtain your Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

If you are allowed into the country at border control, an immigration officer will place a landing stamp in your passport. The landing stamp gives you permission to stay here up to the date indicated (typically 90 days).

You must visit a registration office before the date on the landing stamp expires to:

  • Extend your permission to stay (ie longer than 90 days), and
  • Register with the INIS for your IRP

*Please Note: If you do not register in time, you may have to leave the country and re-apply.

Registering when you arrive in Ireland

To register, you must apply in person at a INIS registration office.

If you live in Dublin City or County, you will have to go to Burgh Quay Registration Office to register in person. You must book an appointment online to register. You will not be registered if you do not have an appointment. Demand for appointments is currently very high. If you can’t book one straightaway, keep trying, new appointments are added every day (mon-fri) at 10am and 2:30pm. To book an appointment please Click Here

If you live outside Dublin, you must go to a regional office to register. You cannot register at Burgh Quay if you live outside Dublin City or County. To find your local INIS registration office outside of Dublin please Click Here


You must bring the following when you go to register:

  • Your passport
  • Your original Working Holiday Authorisation

If any of these are missing, you cannot be given permission to stay and won’t be registered.

Cost & Payment:

You must pay a fee of €300 per person to register. You can pay by:

  • Bank giro: A giro is a pre-printed form and can be collected from any registration office
  • Credit/debit card: These can be used at Burgh Quay Registration Office and some others

If your visit is successful, you will be given a registration certificate called an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) which will have a Stamp 1. Your passport will typically be also stamped.

Stamp 1

A Stamp 1 indicates that you have permission to work or operate a business in Ireland, subject to conditions. A Stamp 1 is reckonable as residence when applying for citizenship by naturalisation.

It indicates the:

  • Activities you can and cannot do here, eg work
  • Length of time you are allowed to stay

Lost or Stolen IRP

You must contact your local INIS registration office if your IRP is lost or stolen. Your local INIS registration office will then investigate and (if necessary) prepare a replacement for you. Follow the steps below to apply for a replacement IRP if your current IRP is lost or stolen.

1. Report to An Garda Síochána

Visit your local Garda station to report that your Irish Registration Permit (IRP) is lost or stolen. A garda will then take your details. If the garda is satisfied that your IRP is lost or stolen, they will give you an official incident report.

2. Make a registration office appointment

Make an appointment to visit your local INIS registration office to submit the official incident report from An Garda Síochána. You must bring the following:

  • Your current passport, containing your active permission stamp
  • Original incident report from An Garda Síochána
  • Any other documents or information you needed the last time you registered

At the INIS registration office, a registration officer will examine your documents and investigate your lost or stolen IRP.

3. Obtaining your new IRP

f your Irish Registration Permit (IRP) or GNIB card has not been found or handed in, the registration officer will arrange to issue you with a new IRP. The process for issuing IRPs is different if you register in Dublin or outside Dublin. In some cases, you may also have to pay the normal €300 fee to obtain a replacement.

Issuing IRPs in Dublin

If your visit is successful, the registration officer will send your replacement IRP to you by post. Make sure to confirm your exact address (including Eircode) before you leave the registration office. Your IRP should arrive within 5 to 10 working days. If it does not arrive contact them directly.

Issuing IRPs outside Dublin

If your visit is successful, the registration officer will arrange a new date/time for you to return to the office to collect your IRP. You cannot get a IRP during your initial visit because parts of the process are managed centrally. You must return to the registration office to collect your new IRP.

More Information

For more information on Working Holidays in Ireland please Click Here

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.