Study Visa: English Language Course

**Please Note**

Due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus we are not in a position to offer travel advice to travellers wishing to come to Ireland. Please consult with WHO guidelines for your country before travelling

The main conditions of being a Full Time Language Non-EEA student are:

  • The course must be listed on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP)
  • A student on a full time language course may obtain an immigration permission of up to 8 months for that course (prior to a rule change in January 2016 the period was 12 months).
  • A student may be granted immigration permission for a maximum of 3 language courses.  The total duration of immigration permission for a new student attending language courses is 2 years (i.e. 3 x 8 months).  However where a student had received one or two 12 month permissions under the previous rules they may still obtain apply up to a total of three permissions.
  • A full time Language Course consists of a minimum of 25 weeks tuition and a minimum of 15 hours tuition per week.  The minimum number of hours of teaching is therefore 375.
  • All tuition must be delivered during the hours 9am-5pm Monday to Friday and involve tuition on at least 3 of those days.
  • The minimum level of attendance on the course is 85%.
  • The student must take a recognised examination at the end of the course (students who do not comply with this requirement will not be permitted to obtain further immigration permission)

To Register at the INIS immigration office and obtain immigration permission and Irish Residential Permit (IRP):

  • You will need a Letter of Acceptance from the college, confirming you have been accepted and enrolled on a full-time day course involving a minimum of 15 hours organised daytime tuition each week between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
  • You must have proof that fees have been paid to the college.
  • You must have access to €3,000 at first registration. This is in addition to your course fees.
  • All students are required to have private medical insurance, either personally or through a group scheme operated by your college, at time of registration in accordance with the conditions set out below regarding private medical insurance.
  • All colleges must provide enrolled learner protection.  Your letter of acceptance must clearly demonstrate that you are covered by learner protection arrangements. Where the college’s enrolled learner protection arrangements are through an insurance scheme, each student must have a certificate of proof of enrolled learner protection in their own name demonstrating that they are covered.
  • The INIS immigration registration fee is €300

For information regarding evidence of finance for ALL Non-EEA Students please click on the following link: Evidence of Finances for all Non EEA Students

For information regarding the requirement to hold private medical insurance please click on the following link: Private Medical Insurance for full-time Non-EEA Students (Size 22KB)