Apply for your PPS

Applying for your PPS number

Your Personal Public Service (PPS) number is a unique reference number that is used by to pay your tax when working. It is also used to access social welfare benefits, public services, education, and health services.

Before you can be allocated a PPS number, you must show that you need one for a transaction with a specified body. For example, if you are taking up employment, you need a PPS number to register with the Revenue Commissioners. An employer should only seek a PPS number if you are actually taking up employment with the organisation/business.

I’m moving to Ireland soon – how do I get a Personal Public Service number?

Allocation of PPS numbers is done by face-to-face interview. However, you can book an appointment for a PPS number allocation interview before you move to Ireland – see ‘Online appointments’ below. You should attend the PPS Number Allocation Centre in the county that you intend to live in. Book Appointment

You will be asked to produce documentary evidence of identity and address in Ireland. Different documentary evidence will be required, depending on your nationality. A complete list of documents required as evidence of your identity is available.


To get a PPS number, you will need to fill out an application form in the PPS Number Allocation Centre, provide evidence of your identity, a copy of your WHA, and evidence of your address while in Ireland. Your hotel/hostel address can used as proof of your address.

Evidence of your identity

Your passport is your best option when proving your identity when applying for a PPS number.

Proof of address

You will need to show evidence of your address when applying for a PPS number. You can use any of the following documents to do this (the document must show your name and address):

  • A household utility bill
  • An official letter/document
  • A financial statement
  • Property lease or tenancy agreement
  • Confirmation of address by a third party such as a hotel/hostel administrator or manager, school principal/administrator or accommodation/property owner*.

*If you are staying with friends or relatives, an original household bill plus a note from the bill holder confirming your residency at the bill address is acceptable. This note can be written on the bill itself.

If you are requesting PPS Number allocation to take up work, and wish to use your employer’s address, the notification of PPS Number and PSC may be sent to that address. However, any future correspondence from the Department will issue to that address. You should advise the Department of any changes in your address thereafter.

If your employer is providing accommodation for you, a note to that effect on the company’s headed paper with your details may be accepted.

If your employer certifies the address that you are living at, that may also be accepted.