Working Holiday Ireland

Entry 4: Immigration Registration – ‘GNIB’, ‘INIS’ and what to do

Here is some really great first hand advice/tips from Carl who came all the way from Australia to Ireland on a working holiday. Thanks Carl for the write up

An Australian's guide to a Working Holiday Authorisation/Visa in Ireland


Assuming (hoping) that you’ve managed to choose a destination and secure a bed to sleep in upon arrival, the first step in setting yourself up on the Emerald Isle is to register your arrival – in person – with Ireland’s immigration department. Weirdly, there are two branches of the immigration ‘department’ that you can register with – firstly, the ‘Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service’ (INIS), and secondly, the Garda National Immigration Bureau’ (GNIB)‘.The one that’ll be relevant to you – as a WHA-holder wanting to register with ‘immigration’ – depends on where you want to live.

(INIS is a sub-department of the Department of Justice and Equality, and oversees general asylum, immigration and citizenship matters, whereas GNIB is basically the immigration enforcement arm of the police force (the Irish police force is called ‘An Garda Síochána’, or ‘the Gards’)).

If you want to live in the…

View original post 1,223 more words

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.